Sunday, May 20, 2018

Moving About a Bit, Starting with Bílá Hora

It had been my hope that this summer I'd be able to rent the same apartment as when I lived in Prague 2005-2007, but regrettably it was not available, so I am instead doing a combination of lodgings. For the first couple of weeks I stayed in a pension out near Bílá Hora, which for those who know Prague will recognize, is on the western fringes of the city. It's at the end of a tram line, in fact.
Why did I choose to lodge way out there? Well, several reasons. First off, it was one of the less expensive options, and that's always a consideration. But secondly, I rather like seeing different parts of Prague. While I'm very fond of my old apartment near the Dvorce tram stop in Podolí, which is near a greengrocer's and has good access to a wonderful riverside path (where I learned to rollerblade!), every part of Prague has its merits. Bílá Hora, famous as the site of the historic battle (Bílá Hora/White Mountain) which altered the course of Czech history, is also near Hvězda, a place I'm quite fond of.
Hvězda is not a major tourist attraction, but it's an interesting building, hosts some good small exhibitions generally relating to history, literature, and art (the exhibitions are curated by the Památník národního písemnictví), and there's a large wooded park plus a nice little cafe. It's a great place to go and relax, whether by walking the paths, sitting on a bench under a tree, sunbathing on the lawn, taking in an exhibition, etc.
So, spending a couple of weeks taking the tram back and forth from out there seemed like a pretty attractive notion, and on the whole it worked out just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment