Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Margalit Fox's New Book

Newsday just posted its list of the best summer books and among the temptations therein is Margalit Fox's new title, Conan Doyle for the Defense: The True Story of a Sensational British Murder, a Quest for Justice, and the World’s Most Famous Detective Writer.
Many readers know Margalit Fox through her highly regarded New York Times obituaries--one of her last and favorites is "Dovey Johnson Roundtree, Barrier-Breaking Lawyer, Dies at 104," but although I admire her obituaries, I myself first became acquainted with her through her husband George Robinson, as George and I were both active in the National Writers Union and co-chaired the Book Campaign for a time.
Margalit Fox is leaving the obituary-writing trade to focus on writing books, and after her fascinating The Riddle of the Labyrinth: The Quest to Crack an Ancient Code (about how Evans, Kober, and Ventris worked to decipher Linear B), I am looking forward to learning about Conan Doyle's own detective case.
Oh, and I see there's also a book on the photographer Weegee on Newsday's list!

No comments:

Post a Comment