Saturday, March 28, 2020

Weddings, Pandemic-Style

At a difficult time in world history, a bit of happy news: weddings are still happening, in new and inventive ways.

My cousin Jared's wedding was originally going to be something of a destination wedding, and although I wanted to attend, I had a work conflict, so I sent my regrets. But that, of course, was before covid-19 took the stage. My department sadly postponed/cancelled our student colloquium (don't really know yet which), and I wasn't even sure what was happening with the wedding.

But my family is resourceful, and put out word that the wedding would now take place in a local park with live-streaming video via Facebook. Only ten people were allowed to gather, so the local guests parked their cars near the site and watched on their phones, while many more of us tuned in from afar. The day was sunny but windy there (versus rainy weather here), and so although wind noise was noticeable, the bride's simple, elegant gown and veil fluttered beautifully throughout the ceremony. (Jared's suit also fluttered, but we weren't focusing on that.)

It was a lovely event and I wish them and all the others marrying in this uncertain time a long, happy, and healthy life together.

No comments:

Post a Comment