Friday, March 27, 2020

My 17th Day of Social Distancing

By this time, much of the world is required to perform what's called "social distancing" or "physical distancing." My experience with this began a little earlier than many people's, because my university was among one of the earlier American schools to switch to remote instruction, and my state soon likewise became one of the leaders in shutting down sources of what is termed "community spread" (catching the virus without knowing how you got it, or only learning later that you probably got it at a game or at a party or at church).

The news is full of stories from all over the world about coronavirus and the covid-19 illness it causes. My experience isn't that strange or remarkable (yet), and I don't want to focus this blog on it, but here's how's it going for me at present.

First of all, I'm working from home, so I'm fortunate that I'm someone who can do that, versus being someone who's out of work at the local bar or clothing store or factory during the state's shelter-in-place. I'm in contact with my students daily via email and our online platform. How my students are doing personally or in their studies is not so clear. I do ask them to let me know if they're having difficulties, and some have reported lack of home internet, or that they have to move before getting back to their studies, but quite a few just aren't responding. Others are watching films on art, exploring museum websites, and writing about it for me. Two classes have short papers due soon, and the other class has a big research paper due near the end of the semester. We'll see. The university is allowing pass/fail grading for any undergraduate who requests it. The date with withdraw has also been extended. While the switch to remote learning hasn't improved the education we provide, at least we haven't fallen apart, and it seems that the administration is doing a decent job handling this particular challenge.

Although my state is sheltering in place, we're allowed to go outside so long as we don't get too close to other people. I regret to say that the weather has not been very conducive to spending much time outdoors, apart from a couple of days when it got both sunny and dry. I took advantage of that to dig up some weeds in what used to be my small lawn, and to sow white clover there. My housemate walked over to a historic cemetery and enjoyed reading and photographing there. He even got a short video of a white squirrel leaping over the tombstones.

I keep hoping that I will get some spring cleaning and writing done, but so far my days consist of teaching-related activities, checking the news, and reading books. Somehow the time passes with lightning speed even though we're not actually having fun!

Yesterday I learned of the first person of my acquaintance to be ill with covid-19 (although I'm sure there are others). A member of my extended family first felt unwell a week ago, was hospitalized on Monday, and was soon on a ventilator. Shortly after the word went out to all the cousins, there was some good news: from 90% oxygen from the ventilator, my relative went down to 60%. This morning the percentage was 50%, so very good news! The goal is to get to 30%. We're all sending best wishes and hopes for a full recovery. And hopes that no one in that immediate family gets ill like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment