Thursday, June 21, 2018

The André Breton site

Hunting around for places to obtain suitable (publication-quality, hi-res) images is, as my regular readers will have gathered, an often arduous task. I'm pleased to report, therefore, that http://www.andrebreton.fr/en/ is an excellent source for those of us who are scholars of surrealism. The Association Atelier André Breton offers a wealth of online research materials and just cool stuff relating to Breton's voluminous collections, and most of the site is available in both French and English, which makes it easier to use in teaching.
I had discovered this site some time ago, but for some reason had not realized (or maybe it wasn't yet an option?) that one could order images from it. Had I realized that earlier, I could have used funding from my university to pay for the images, but the said funding has expired and in our current financial state no one is getting any money for just about anything. (I could go on about this problem, but now is not the time.)
Another matter slowing me down in ordering was that as I explored the site, I found that in order to find everything it offers relating to Toyen, one has to search on her name in quite a few different places. Some things come up searching under Photography, others under Fine Art; it's possible that these two covered everything I found, but I had first searched under Libraries, Museums, Archives, and Private Collections, each of which category had to be searched by the individual organizations. I did not want to order until I had done a thorough search and considered my options, most of which were photographs of Toyen in the company of other surrealists. The site does include some artworks by Toyen too, of which two were works I desperately wanted for the book, one more seemed like a good thing to add, and the several other possibilities were not works I could really justify including, alas (Toyen was a prolific artist and my book is not about every aspect of her work).
Having spent the morning choosing my four photos and three paintings, I laboriously entered all of the required data into the online order form and clicked Send. But nothing seemed to happen!
I waited awhile, checked my email, tried again, tried filling out a fresh version of the form again, all with no indication that my request had actually gone through.
I decided to do other things for awhile and returned to my email. And lo, there were now four identical emails confirming my order!
Presumably the humans on the other end can figure out that there is actually only one order of seven items, not four orders of the same seven. While I feel a bit drained that this process took up my entire morning, I am relieved and delighted that my last chapter will now have some photos of the artist hanging out with the other Parisian surrealists, and that my to-find list for the color plate section is now slightly smaller.

No comments:

Post a Comment